Drums No Guns Commission, Inc.,
was founded in 1995 during the Special
Olympics World Games in the greater New Haven region. SOWG hosted more than 1,200 athletes and their families with more than 450,000 people attending this nine day event. We are a non-profit community based educational organization that promotes literacy, ethnic heritage, breaking barriers to bridge cultures, arts and higher education, empowering those impaired, and the prevention of crime and violence, handgun violence, drugs, gangs, hatred, racism, hunger, homelessness, teen homicide and suicide.
DNG utilizes the power and influence of entertainment (Music & Arts) and technology to stimulate and motivate children, youth and adults to become enthusiastic about hope, community building, positive thinking and higher education. It is imperative and of the most importance to begin preventive measures to save the lives and future lifestyles of children and youth through positive role models, mentoring and entertaining educational programs and projects.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
purposes of Drums No Guns Commission, Inc.
1. To promote literacy and the prevention of handgun violence, domestic abuse, crime, teen suicide and homicide, through a national community building and youth initiiative Edu~concert campaign tour series consisting of lectures, demonstrations, workshops, seminars, mentorship, creative conflict/anger-management training, also, concerts in schools, community centers and neighborhood parks nationwide;
2. To promote community building and youth development, higher education, enhancing high technological skills (audio/music and video technology), motivate and build self-worth and self-esteem for children, youth and adults, enabling each individual the opportunity to develop a safer and more positive social environment as well as, create and operate training, development and employment programs and centers, to become an economically-stabled and self-sufficient community that works, build and grow together;
3. To help renovate and build community performing arts, cultural history and education centers teaching professional trades (music and video technology, sound recording, musical instruments, organizational management, promotions, journalism, writing, drama/theater, stage and lighting, media/communications and advertisement, etc.
4. Operate as a community based auxilary organization promoting to establish a national Not For Profit organization network consisting of more 500 NFP organizations working together for the betterment of inner cities and neighborhoods nationwide. Estabish a 'National Conference of NFP Organizations' meeting each year in different cities
5. Promote an annual national youth charater building initiative recruitment and enrollment campaign aimed to accomodate more 100,000 at risk kids of all races and cultures each year.
Both Not For Profit organization network and youth charater building initiative campaign projects are supported and sponsored partially by our Drums No Guns project 'Drums Across America' , a 25 city national community building and youth initiative Edu~Concert campaign tour, in collaboration with 'The Cab Calloway Foundation, Inc.' and Feed the Children's 'Americans Feeding Americans'.
Make a difference today !
Music courtesy of DNG guest composer/pianist,
'Scottish Hills', composed by Peter Edwards, performed by Michael Mills & Peter
For more than
40 years, Michael Mills, a master drummer
and percussionist, composer, songwriter,
producer and world music educator, has
utilized the power of sound, rhythmic
vibration, color, words, and spiritual
energies to touch hearts, minds and lives
of many thousands of people from all walks